|Department:||USAID Technical and Professional Support Services (USAID TAPSS)|
This position is located in USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI), in the Innovation, Technology, and Research (ITR) Hub. ITR leads USAID in experimentation and innovation to transform development. The ITR Hub takes smart risks to test new ideas and partner with others to scale impact, bringing together diverse partners to transform how we save lives, reduce poverty, strengthen democratic governance, and help people progress beyond assistance. Working collaboratively with the Agency and external partners, ITR’s mission is two-fold:
To produce breakthrough development innovations by sourcing, testing, and scaling proven solutions that impact millions of people.
To transform development by opening it to people everywhere with good ideas, promoting new and deepening existing partnerships, bringing data and evidence to bear, and harnessing scientific and technological advances.
Within the ITR Hub, the incumbent will specifically support the Research Division. The Research Division works to strengthen the capacity for scientific inquiry in USAID partner countries, increasing the creation and use of knowledge, research and innovation and providing decision makers with the best available, locally informed evidence to develop policies that can benefit and transform society.
The incumbent primarily supports ITR Research Division leadership and communications staff in the development and implementation of the communications strategy, including its top-line messaging, marketing materials, and set of tools. They create and maintain linkages with key networks, and package program information and results for a variety of audiences. The incumbent provides general and strategic communications, press, outreach, social media, and event support to technical programs across ITR, performing a variety of both complex and analytical duties to advance Research Division and Agency priorities. The incumbent identifies creative communications channels to create actionable content and engagement opportunities to highlight Research Division programming internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews communications materials for ITR Research Division and other portfolios as assigned to ensure consistency with Agency and DDI messaging, policy, and procedures.
- Supports the development and implementation of the ITR Research Division communications strategy, including its top-line messaging, marketing materials, and set of communications tools.
- Writes, edits and oversees the production and dissemination of strategic communication materials, including but not limited to online feature stories, blog posts, case studies, fact sheets, presentations, and video scripts.
- Manages the editorial process and pipeline, including developing an editorial calendar, sourcing and pitching story ideas, and editing content.
- Assists in drafting social media content for the ITR Research Division.
- Monitors development news, trends, and best practices, and translates into actionable content.
- Supports the management and growth of an active community of practice using a variety of internal and external channels (e.g., newsletters, webinars, live events, online platforms, etc.) and leveraging a mix of communication resources (e.g., toolkits, case studies).
- Develops online content for and helps manage the Research Division’s external and internal web properties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualification, Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, economics, public policy, or a relevant field.
- At least 4 – 6 years of professional experience.
- Strong communication and coordination skills, including the ability to develop communications approaches and strategies. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of responsibility; Good organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multitasking well.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a variety of complex communication portfolio(s) with little notice.
- Media management and graphic design/product development experience in a fast-paced environment is ideal.
- Strong experience in successful media pitching with a good placement history is ideal.
Strong Skill-sets Needed:
- Verbal Communication
- Organizing and Planning
Place of Performance:
Washington, DC – Ronald Reagan Building (RRB). Position is currently remote.
Travel – Limited International and Domestic Travel
Please email email@example.com for more information.