Job Description Summary
Under the supervision of the client’s Project Manager, the JPC Material Handler will be responsible for supporting the mission of the DHA JPC Contract. The Material Handler shall meet the qualifications for their specialty and perform functions within the scope of acceptable standards for their technical professional discipline.
• The Material Handler may work in the central tissue grossing laboratory where they will assist professional staff in preparing formalin-fixed tissue for further laboratory processing; open and process large bulk shipments from contributors for accessioning; clean all laboratory equipment and workstations; and process remaining tissue for disposition or permanent storage.
• Sorts and files materials received and acknowledges in computer system by The JPC accession number.
• Pulls materials from files upon authorized request, enters transfer of all materials in computer tracking system, and forwards to requester.
• Assists in performance of periodic audits of the repository files to identify lost or misplaced materials.
• Loads and unloads shipments of materials as they are received or shipped.
• Establishes and maintains stock records and other documents, such as inventory, material control, accounting and supply reports. Conducts quality assurance inspections of assigned areas and responds to quality assurance issues per regulatory requirements; must maintain cleanliness within the Aisle Savers by vacuuming and sweeping regularly.
• Performs quality control for all equipment; follows established methods, procedures and requirements for effective storage, distribution and protection of equipment, stressing safety and security. Assists with implementation of policies and procedures to resolve issues concerning the issuance, turn in, re- distribution and delivery of accountable equipment. Assists professional staff as required in processing or locating required materials.
• Assists in other areas of the department as needed to process case materials in a timely.
• Transports patient material, both active and inactive, between operational locations.
• Conducts inventory, maintenance and stock rotation of all equipment and supplies. Implement inspection program to monitor logistical preparation; follows established procedures affecting documentation, maintenance, preservation, utilization and disposition of supplies. Ensures respective SOP’s are reviewed and updated accordingly.
• Must be able to climb ladders and lift, shift and move heavy items. Must be able to work with formalin fixed human and animal tissues and demonstrate the ability to be customer-oriented.
• Responsible for material accountability as well as performing functions related to the survey and disposition of excess material and equipment.
• Process incoming microscopic glass slides, paraffin blocks, and formalin-fixed tissues for appropriate identification, computer inventory acknowledgement, filing, and storage. Retrieve materials upon authorized request, enter tracking information in computer inventory system and forward materials to authorized requesters.
• Maintain a number of processes to include requirements determination, material distribution, and procurement authorization.
• Responsible for supply and logistical support for one or more areas within the Joint Pathology Center.
• Shifts materials within the storage facilities and within the filing equipment to ensure maximum effective utilization of space.
• Packages and/or refreshes formalin fixed tissues as required and monitors repository shelves for any leaking packages. Maintains cleanliness of tissue resealing area and all associated equipment.
• Transports case material from operational locations; load and unload from delivery trucks large shipments of materials and supplies as required. Work at the Forest Glenn Annex warehouse facility in Silver Spring, MD.
• Shall perform services that will ensure timely preservation, repackaging, movement and storage of specimens to predetermined and annotated locations.
• Shall follow all mandatory documents to the extent they apply to the contract.
Qualifications / Experience
• High School Graduate or Completion of GED.
• Some warehousing experience to include the processing of incoming materials for storage and pulling
materials from inventory.
• Knowledge of organization and regulations as they apply to the Defense Supply System; include but not limited to: Defense Small Purchase Procedures, Supply Instructions, and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations.
• Knowledge of medical/pharmaceutical terminology and numbering systems sufficient to identify products used regularly in a hospital environment.
• Knowledge of supply automation systems, procurement procedures and office software applications in order to update/retrieve data and create/manage database information.
• Knowledge of basic computer applications, e.g., word processing, email, spreadsheets, and basic data entry techniques are essential.
Must be a US Citizen
Position Type / Location
Full-time position / Silver Spring, MD
Little to no travel is expected for this position
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with resume to be considered for this position.